Friday, May 21, 2010

Happy Birthday Shiverkumar

When days are getting cooler, the air-conditioning in the bus i get home in mysteriously becomes stronger. Today, I was directly in the stream of one of the vents, and had only my iPod for cover. So I quickly played The Ghost Of Tom Joad by Rage Against The Machine. I recently found that this song has a peculiar effect on me - at one point in the song, the music dies away and only the vocalist is left saying

Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free
Look in their eyes, Ma, you'll see me"
You'll see me (x8)

The "You'll see me" part integrates back with the guitars so well that it gives me the shivers every time without fail, and shivering is a natural mechanism to fight the cold air conditioning that prehistoric apemen encountered.

It led me to wonder if I was the only one who had a 'shiver' song. If there were more people following this blog (I sneered too), it would have led to an interesting forum.
The Scream, Edvard Munch, 1893
He must have one helluva 'shiver' song.

2 comments:

  1. Do Himesh Reshamiya's songs count as "shiver songs"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shivers are as useful as a punch in the gut with an icy fist.

    ReplyDelete